The Mini-Pilot Concept
The IMI mini-pilot plant is a 1600 m2, permanent multi-purpose facility for rapid process development on a small scale (up to several kilograms). The mini pilot plant enables reduction of the time required to get new products to the market, by using a scale-down technique that gives full process definition at the 25-50 litre scale.
- Scale down of industrial equipment.
- Complete process development at small scale.
- Controlled and flexible design.
- Computer controlled and with ASPEN PLUS, CHETAH and VISIMIX simulators for modeling and optimization.
- Batch or continuous operation.
- Minimal manpower, raw materials & wastes.
- Significant savings in process development costs and time.
The Mini-Pilot Capabilities
- Process development based on data supplied by the customer.
- Process improvement, verification, de-bottlenecking.
- Preparation of samples for market development.
The Mini-Pilot Equipment
- 4 fully ventilated enclosed workstations (6m)
- Multipurpose glass, glass-lined, stainless steel and Hastelloy C reactors (16-250 litre), all installed in walk-in cupboards.
- 4 high pressure bays with autoclaves ranging between 0.5-20 litre up to 100 bar.
- RC1 reaction calorimeter – 0.5-2 litre glass or 2 litre stainless steel pressure reactor.
- RC-1 reactor equipped with FBRM (Focused Beam Reflectance Measurement) and PVM (Particle Video Microscopy) for study in real time of crystal habit and size during the crystallization process.
- Thin/Wiped film evaporators.
- Fractional distillation columns.
- Extraction columns.
- Filters: centrifuges (basket, peeler), vacuum and pressure filters.
- Agitated filter dryer.
- Various dryers including spray dryer and paddle dryer.
Membrane Technology Capabilities
- Full range of membranes focusing on feasibility tests: micro, ultra, nano, reverse osmosis (RO) and forward osmosis (FO).
- Laboratory scale high pressure driven membrane units (dead-end and cross flow) suitable for feasibility tests of a wide spectrum of applications.
- Laboratory scale forward osmosis unit suitable for feasibility tests of FO applications.
- Process development by combination of various types of membranes.